Friday 27 March 2020

Circle of Kindness




One of the impacts of travelling is that it widens the circle of people dear to us. It could be argued that most of them were nice to me only because I was their source of livelihood; be that as it may, I know that it doesn't take away from the laughter we shared or their acts of kindness.

In times of crises anywhere in the world, and certainly during the current global coronavirus pandemic, I've been visiting all those people in my mind.

That train driver who stopped an entire train for me when he saw that I had alighted on an inconvenient platform with my huge suitcase, so that I could use the train to cross over to the other platform with an elevator.

The family we shared everything with - bathrooms, chores, meals, bonfires, laughter, and a spectacular view of the Himalaya.

That lady who gave us soup on the house during a thunderstorm and made calls to a petrol company in a foreign language, when we worried that our card had been billed multiple times.

Those guides to whom we entrusted our lives as we traversed treacherous, high-altitude Himalayan terrain for days, accompanied by much talking and laughter.

That farmer, homestay host, and chef, all of whom gave us free produce to take home because we had enjoyed it so much.

That air bnb owner who left us wine and cookies in our room, should we have midnight hunger pangs.

That random stranger I nodded at, who stopped and said "gosh, you are beautiful!", making me blush.

The villager who invited us into her house and plied us with freshly squeezed sugarcane juice because it was the best her farm had produced that season.

The sales assistant who sent me to her competitor who stocked more designs in large sizes, because she wanted me to buy a jacket I loved and not just because it fit me.

All those who didn't speak a word of English, but patiently heard out my inelegant mix of pidgin Mandarin and sign language as I ordered lunch, never hurrying me even though there was a long queue.

To all these and many, many, many more - know that I am thinking about you.



2 comments: